Moving all your belongings is one of the hardest parts about buying or selling your home. An organized, well planned move can make the transition so much easier. Here's our ultimate Moving Day Checklist to help you plan for the big day!
One Month Before
- Reserve your moving date with a moving company, if you're planning to use one!
- Buy boxes, packing tape and bubble wrap to protect all of your belongings.
- Start cleaning out and packing up closets, garages and the attic (non-essential spaces).
- Transfer school records and update your address for any publications you receive.
- Change your address online or at the post office.
- Notify your bank, insurance company, and any subscription services you might have set up of your new address.
Two Weeks Before
- Make a "survival kit" of essentials that you'll need for the last week in the old house and the first few days in the new one!
- Label boxes by room and begin packing up most of your things!
- Schedule utility shutoffs for your old house and arrange for re-connections at the new one!
- Make arrangements for your pets during the move: Will they stay with you? How will they be transported? Do they need to be dropped off at a daycare for a few days?
One Week Before
- Clean out the stove and fridge, vacuum and sweep all floors.
- Schedule your internet and TV installation at the new house!
Day of Move
- Get cash out for pizza, tips for movers, snack money during the move!
- Pack up your "survival kit" with all your essentials.
- Walk through the house one last time and say goodbye to the neighbors!